Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Update

RABBIT RABBIT! Happy September!
So after the study trip, we came back and had a couple more days of orientation. We were supposed to get our class schedules...but apparently the school isn't too good with organization and getting the schedules out on time...so I still dont know when one of my classes is for this block! O, and they cancelled class this week, since they couldn't get their act together! GREAT! I still have my CES (center for european studies), which is the program I came here through, class and that starts tomorrow. I am really excited about it, because it is a Dutch art history class and we pretty much go on an excursion to a museum every class. The only bummer is that Wednesdays are going to be long days...the class starts at 1:30 and we don't get out until 6. EEEK! But, I am pretty sure that I will love it, seeing that I loved my art history class my senior year. We also get to take a trip to a museum in Rotterdam, which will be a whole day excursion on the last saturday of September. 
On Sunday, we tried to go to the St. Pietersberg caves, which are supposed to be something that everyone should see while in Maastricht, but we got kind of lost since we were in a rush trying to find it and were on our bikes too, so we gave up. We decided to bike to Belgium instead! Its only like an hour bike ride away, and the town, not sure what it is called, but it is darling! I can somewhat understand the signs too, since they are in french! So we stopped at a cute cafe and just got something to drink and headed back. The bike ride is beautiful too, so much open countryside with cows left and right and old, crumbling homes! On the way back, we also tried to find a winery that we had heard about, but failed too! We started walking up a dirt road that looked like it led up to the vineyards and what looked to be a winery but realized that it was more of a dirt road that led no where! 
Yesterday, Monday, was a warm day so we took advantage of the sun and laid out in the sun and enjoyed a book! I also went to the market yesterday, and us girls bought things for dinner - tofu, teriyaki sauce, saffron rice, and vegetables! YUM!
Today the sun has yet to come out and the clouds have opened up and it has been drizzling off and on throughout the day. Seems like a good lazy day, to sit back have a cup of tea and maybe watch tv...o but wait, our tv is in dutch! (looks like I'll be learning dutch!)
I'm excited about tomorrow, not only because of starting class but also because there is a farmers market that happens every Wednesday morning in one of the big market squares. I am going to go to that and get some fresh veggies and such before I head off to class!
Thats all for now!
Lots of love from Maastricht

1 comment:

  1. What fun to read about your biking/exploring adventures. Wish I was there to cycle the countryside with you. Can't wait for our trip in December so that we can see all the special places you discover during the fall. I think your art history class will be a wonderful sequel to your beloved Cate art history class. Kitties & Shadow send their love to you as do I! xoxo Mama

    ReplyDelete